The Exclusive Black Rhino Conservation Experience with Dinner from Victoria Falls
Populations of black rhino declined dramatically in the 20th century at the hands of European hunters and settlers. Between 1960 and 1995, black rhino numbers dropped by a sobering 98%, to less than 2,500. Since then, the species has made a tremendous comeback from the brink of extinction. Thanks to persistent conservation efforts across Africa, black rhino numbers have doubled from their historic low 20 years ago to between 5,042 and 5,455 today. However, the black rhino is still considered critically endangered, and a lot of work remains to bring the numbers up to even a fraction of what it once was—and to ensure that it stays there. Wildlife crime—in this case, poaching and black-market trafficking of rhino horn—continues to plague the species and threaten its recovery.
- 14h30 Transfer from hotel to the Stanley and Livingstone (Not included)
- 15h00 Guests meet at the reception of the Stanley & Livingstone Boutique Hotel
- 18h30 Return to Hotel after Drive.
- 18h30 Dinner at the Stanley and Livingstone Hotel Restaurant
- 21h00 Transfer back to your hotel (Not Included)
The Exclusive Black Rhino Conservation Experience Highlights
- Immersive talk with a VFPRGR Guide on the Rhino Conservation Program
- Game Drive on the Reserve in search of the Black Rhino, the pre-historic creature now fighting for its survival
- Dinner at the magnificent Stanley and Livingstone Boutique Hotel
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Inclusions Activity Type
Activity Level Leisurely
Group Size Small Group
Victoria Falls Private Game Reserve (VFPGR) was awarded custodianship of four black rhino in June 2006, becoming a designated rhino Intensive Protection Zone (IPZ). The programme has been a resounding success, and the thriving population on the reserve today has surprised even conservation experts. This is all thanks to the extraordinary effort and intelligence of the VFPGR Anti-Poaching Unit.
Consisting of a highly qualified APU manager/instructor and 18 professionally-trained game rangers, this unit is highly specialised (members are required to pass monthly fitness tests, undergo additional quarterly training in applied fields, keep up to date with current trends and operational issues, and attend training in other countries to ensure the highest standards of proficiency in anti-poaching systems and techniques). Despite extremely challenging conditions, these dedicated men have made it their life’s purpose to protect these animals.
In an effort to drive funding for this critical function, and to bring visitors closer to these extraordinary animals, they have designed the Exclusive Black Rhino Conservation Experience.
The late afternoon activity includes an immersive talk with an expert VFPGR Guide, followed by a drive into the reserve in search of the black rhino. This experience is a very personal and unique view into the world of a pre-historic creature now fighting for its survival on this planet.
Guests return to the hotel for a three course meal at the hotel’s restaurant, 1871 at Stanley and Livingstone.
Minimum Numbers: 2 Guests Maximum Numbers : 6
Minimum Age : 6 Yrs
Dress: Smart Casual, Advised to bring:
- Sun Screen
- Sun Hat
- Warm clothes during winter, it can get cold on the estate.
- Exclusive interaction with an expert VFPGR Guide;
- Game drive in an open shaded safari vehicle;
- Bottled water;
- Afternoon tea at Stanley & Livingstone Boutique Hotel.
- The option with dinner includes a three-course meal at the hotel’s restaurant, 1871 at Stanley and Livingstone
- Transfers from Victoria Falls Hotels and Lodges – We can arrange this
- Drinks during dinner.